Our Religious Education Coordinator is:
Miss S Lockett
At Towngate Primary Academy we follow the Wakefield Agreed Syllabus 2018 - 2023. The principle aim of RE is to engage pupils in systematic enquiry into significant human questions which religion and worldviews address, so that they can develop the understanding and skills needed to appreciate and appraise varied responses to questions, as well as develop responses of their own.
The aims of RE
1. Know about and understand a range of religions and worldviews, so that they can:
• describe, explain and analyse beliefs and practices, recognising the diversity which exists within and between communities and amongst individuals;
• identify, investigate and respond to questions posed, and responses offered by some of the sources of wisdom8 found in religions and worldviews;
• appreciate and appraise the nature, significance and impact of different ways of life and ways of expressing meaning.
2.Express ideas and insights about the nature, significance and impact of religions and worldviews, so that they can:
• explain reasonably their ideas about how beliefs, practices and forms of expression influence individuals and communities;
• express with increasing discernment their personal reflections and critical responses to questions and teachings about identity, diversity, meaning and value, including ethical issues;
• appreciate and appraise varied dimensions of religion or a worldview
3.Gain and deploy the skills needed to engage seriously with religions and worldviews, so that they can:
• find out about and investigate key concepts and questions of belonging, meaning, purpose and truth, responding creatively;
• enquire into what enables different individuals and communities to live together respectfully for the wellbeing of all;
• articulate beliefs, values and commitments clearly in order to explain why they may be important in their own and other people’s lives.
Enhancing our RE curriculum
KS 2 children in an assembly kindly delivered by Kings Way Church in Ossett.
Year 2 working collaboratively together on the parable story of The Lost Sheep.
In KS 1 one of our RE lessons this half term looked at what does the Bible teach us about God?
These are Class 1,2's thoughts and ideas.
At Towngate Primary Academy, we strive to provide our pupils with a broad and balanced curriculum; within our RE teaching, we believe pupils benefit from a range of visits to religious settings and enjoy being visited in school by members of local churches and settings.