Our Local Community
At Towngate, we feel it is incredibly important that our pupils understand their place and identity in our school, the local community and within the wider world.
Our academy is situated in Ossett, Wakefield.
In our academy, we value the importance of making regular links with members of our local community, whilst striving to ensure our curriculum is enhanced using our locality as a key feature and curriculum driver. Through careful planning and consideration, class teachers develop opportunities for the children in school to spend time in the local area, on local walks and with members of our community in a variety of different ways.
Take a look at just some of the ways in which we work closely with our local community:
- Local Walks to Coop to study Fair Trade
- Accessibility surveys in the town centre to look at inclusion for all in our local area
- Visits to the fruit and vegetable shops to practice using and applying our understanding of money
- Whole school music concert in the town hall
- Choir performances in other local schools
- Swimming lessons at the local high school
- Visits to the church
- Careers Week visits from local businesses and trades
- Charity fundraising events
- Scarecrow festivals
- Link school partner: Huddersfield Giants